Report Animal Cruelty

If you witness or suspect animal cruelty, abuse or neglect, you should contact the Police Department in the municipality where the event occurred. In the City of Milwaukee, contact the Department of Neighborhood Services at (414) 286-2268 Monday through Friday during normal business hours. After hours, weekends, or holidays, call the Milwaukee Police Department to report cruelty to animals.

What to look for:

  • Does the animal have regular access to food, water and shelter?
  • Is his/her area clear of feces, broken glass or other objects that may do harm or cause illness?
  • Does the animal have open wounds or other injuries that have not been treated?
  • Does the animal have signs of an illness that has not been treated? (Examples include heavy discharge from eyes or nose, rash or bumpy skin, and missing hair.)
  • Have you witnessed someone kicking, beating or otherwise harming the animal?
  • Is the animal’s coat extremely matted or his nails severely overgrown?
  • Does the animal appear overly aggressive or timid?

Even if you are not sure that you are observing animal cruelty or neglect, please report it anyway. An animal control or police officer will make that determination. If no prosecution occurs, at least the officer can educate the person who is caring for the animal in humane treatment.